Place:Langley Burrell, Wiltshire, England

Watchers
NameLangley Burrell
Alt namesLangley Burrell Withinsource: part of parish absorbed into Chippenham
Langley Burrell Withoutsource: part of parish remained independent of Chippenham
Kellawayssource: hamlet in parish
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates51.476°N 2.098°W
Located inWiltshire, England
See alsoChippenham Hundred, Wiltshire, Englandhundred in which the parish was located
Chippenham Rural, Wiltshire, Englandrural district, 1894 - 1934
Calne and Chippenham Rural, Wiltshire, Englandrural district, 1934 - 1974
North Wiltshire District, Wiltshire, England1974-2009
Wiltshire District, Wiltshire, England2009--
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Langley Burrell is a village and civil parish just north of Chippenham in Wiltshire, England. The parish includes the hamlet of Kellaways, to the east on the opposite bank of the Bristol Avon.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Langley Burrell from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"LANGLEY-BURRELL, a parish, with a village, in Chippenham [registration] district, Wilts; on the river Avon, and on the Great Western railway, 1½ mile NE of Chippenham. Post-town: Chippenham. Acres: 1,725. Real property: £6,161. Population in 1851: 697; in 1861: 1,100. Houses: 211. The increase of population arose from the erection of numerous houses in a part adjoining Chippenham. The property is subdivided. A [railway] causeway, more than 3 miles long, with 60 arches, extends here and crosses the Avon. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £386. Patron: the Rev. R. M. Ashe. The church is ancient but good, and has a tower.
"A chapelry, called St. Paul's, constituted in 1855, comprises a portion of this parish, and portions of the parishes of Chippenham, Hardenhuish, and Kington-St. Michael. Population of that chapelry, in 1861: 1,218. Houses: 232. Population of the Langley Burrell portion: 733; of the Chippenham portion: 455. The living is a [perpetual] curacy. Value: £200. Patron: the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is large, and has an elegant spire. There is a free school.

Langley Burrell parish was divided into two parishes named Langley Burrell Within and Langley Burrell Without in 1894. Langley Burrell Within was part of Chippenham Municipal Borough while Langley Burrell Without was part of Calne and Chippenham Rural District.

Research Tips