Place:Lamesley, Durham, England

Alt namesEighton Bankssource: village in parish
Eighton-Bankssource: spelling variation
Kibblesworthsource: village in parish
TypeChapelry, Civil parish
Coordinates54.916°N 1.608°W
Located inDurham, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inTyne and Wear, England     (1974 - )
See alsoChester le Street, Durham, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Chester Ward, Durham, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Chester le Street Rural, Durham, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1974
Borough of Gateshead, Tyne and Wear, Englandmetropolitan borough covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog

the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Lamesley is a village and civil parish which has been part of the Metropolitan Borough of Gateshead, Tyne and Wear, England since 1974. Prior to 1974 Tyne and Wear south of the River Tyne was part of County Durham. The village is on the southern outskirts of the original county borough of Gateshead, near to Birtley. The parish includes Kibblesworth, Lamesley village, Eighton Banks and the modern housing estate of Northside.

The population of the civil parish at the 2011 UK census was 3,742, dropping from 3928 in 2001.

A contemporary sculpture entitled The Angel of the North by Anthony Gormley is located on a minor hilltop in the parish.

Lamesley was originally a chapelry in the ancient parish of Chester le Street, in County Durham. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1974 it was part of Chester le Street Rural District. In 1933 and 1937 it lost large areas to Gateshead and the neighbouring parish of Whickham respectively.

A nineteenth century description

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Lamesley from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72: LAMESLEY, a parochial chapelry in Chester-le-Street district, Durham; on Urpeth burn and the river Team, 4 miles S of Gateshead [railway] station. Post-town: Gateshead. Real property: £13,075; of which £6,373 are in mines, £112 in quarries, and £1,000 in railways. Population in 1851: 1,914; in 1861: 2,233. Houses: 366. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Lord Ravensworth. There are extensive collieries, beds of ironstone, and quarries for grindstones. The living is a [perpetual] curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value: £138. Patron: Lord Ravensworth. The church was rebuilt in 1759; has a tower of 1821; and contains a carved pulpit. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, national schools, and charities £40.

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Lamesley. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.