Place:Barton-upon-Irwell, Lancashire, England

Watchers
NameBarton-upon-Irwell
Alt namesBarton-on-Irwellsource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeTownship, Village, Suburb
Coordinates53.476°N 2.36°W
Located inLancashire, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inGreater Manchester, England     (1974 - )
See alsoEccles, Lancashire, Englandmunicipal borough which it joined in 1933
Salford (metropolitan borough), Greater Manchester, England
Barton-upon-Irwell Rural, Lancashire, Englandrural district of which Barton-upon-Irwell was a part until 1933
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Barton-upon-Irwell (also known as Barton-on-Irwell or Barton) has been since 1974 a suburban area of Eccles in Greater Manchester, England.

Prior to 1974 Barton-upon-Irwell was in Lancashire. It was originally was a township in the ecclesiastical parish of Eccles in the hundred of Salford. It was a sub-registration district in the civil administration. It also gave its name to a somewhat smaller rural district (1894-1933). Barton was joined to the municipal borough of Eccles in 1933 which was at the time part of the Lancashire administrative county. Eccles was absorbed into the City of Salford, Greater Manchester in 1974.

Barton lay about 5.5 miles (8.9 km) southwest of Manchester on both banks of the River Irwell from Trafford Park to Davyhulme and included the hamlet of Dumplington, now the site of the Trafford Centre. The Irwell was the boundary as far as the River Mersey which, with the Glazebrook, were also boundaries.

Barton is situated on the north bank of the Manchester Ship Canal and the River Irwell. A pair of ship locks is located on the western edge of the district. It is also home to Barton Swing Aqueduct, which carries the Bridgewater Canal over the Manchester Ship Canal. From the late 19th century, the road from Barton to Stretford was carried over the canal by a low-level swing bridge, the opening of which for shipping to pass caused lengthy traffic delays to vehicles.

Before the Manchester Ship Canal was built, the Bridgewater Canal crossed the Irwell by a stone aqueduct of three arches, which was the first constructed in England over a navigable river.

Civil Parishes in the Registration Sub-District

A Vision of Britain through Time lists the following parishes within the Registration Sub-District or Poor Law Union from 1849 to 1930:

Research Tips

  • A Vision of Britain through Time on Barton-upon-Irwell. A long statistical excerpt from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72 describing the village in the mid 19th century.


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Barton-upon-Irwell. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.