Person:Thomas Marques (1)

m. Abt 1743
  1. William Marquis1749 - 1815
  2. John Marquis1750 - 1822
  3. Elizabeth MarquisBef 1754 -
  4. Thomas Marques1753 - 1827
  • HThomas Marques1753 - 1827
  • WJane ParkBef 1759 -
m. 5 Mar 1776
Facts and Events
Name Thomas Marques
Gender Male
Birth[1] 1753 Opequon, Frederick County, Virginia
Marriage 5 Mar 1776 to Jane Park
Death[1] 27 Sep 1827 Bellefontaine, Logan County, Ohio


  1. 1.0 1.1 .

    Rev. Thomas Marques, the fourth son of Thomas and Mary (Colville) Marques, was born in Opequan Valley, Virginia, in 1753; was married March 5, 1776, to Jane Park, and soon after they removed to Cross Creek. He settled on a tract of land, for which he took out a warrant Feb. 23, 1786, and afterwards obtained a patent. This tract was called "Marrigate," and contained four hundred and seventeen acres and allowance. This tract embraces one of the farms now owned by Richard Wells, the farm of the Beabout heirs, and a part of the Perrine tract. Afterwards by deed dated Aug. 27, 1794, he purchased from Alexander Wells, of Cross Creek, and Nathan Cromwell, of Baltimore, a tract of five hundred acres, embracing lands now owned by Hon. John S. Duncan, H. L. Duncan, John Lee, part of a tract owned by Craig Lee, called the McConnell farm, and a part of the farm now owned by Rev. J. S. Marques. His family were obliged to live in Vance's Fort to escape the Indian incursions, and while there he was converted, and by the advice of Revs. Smith and Dodd commenced to prepare himself for the ministry. His classical education was obtained at Canonsburg Academy, and he studied theology under the direction of Rev. Dr. McMillan and Rev. Joseph Smith; was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Redstone at Dunlap's Creek, April 19, 1793. He soon received three calls, - from Bethel and Ebenezer, Ten Mile, and Cross Creek. The call from Cross Creek was dated Oct. 18, 1793, and was accepted on the 23d of April, 1794. He was a natural orator, and the tones of his voice were so musical that he was called the "Silver-tongued Marques." He continued to be pastor of Cross Creek for thirty-two years, resigning in 1825, but continuing to preach there until October 1826. He went to visit his son-in-law, Rev. Joseph Stevenson, at Bellefontaine, Ohio, and while there was taken down with fever, and died Sept. 27, 1827, and was buried in the cemetery at Bellefontaine.

    Thomas Marques, as well as his brothers and sisters, were brought up from an early age (their father having been killed by a limb falling from a tree) under the direction of their uncle, John Wilson, who married their father's sister. He was a school-teacher, a well-educated and a religious man, who looked carefully after the instruction and training of the children. The children of Rev. Thomas and Jane (Park) Marques were William, married Sarah Marques, lived and died on his father's farm; James, married first Anne Marques, second Margaret McCune; Sarah Marques, married Rev. Joseph Stevenson, of Bellefontaine, Ohio; Mary Marques, married George Newell; Jane Marques, married Samuel Caldwell; Susannah Marques, married John Wilson Marques, and they afterwards lived and died in Logan County, Ohio; Anne Marques, married Joseph Clark, lived and died in Logan County, Ohio; Thomas Marques, son of Rev. Thomas, died while at Jefferson College, Canonsburg; was never married. All of the other children, with the exception of Anne, left descendants, some of whom still live in Washington County.