Place:Stapleford, Nottinghamshire, England

Watchers
NameStapleford
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates52.933°N 1.25°W
Located inNottinghamshire, England
See alsoBroxtowe Wapentake, Nottinghamshire, Englandwapentake in which the place was located
Stapleford Rural, Nottinghamshire, Englandrural district 1894-1935
Beeston and Stapleford, Nottinghamshire, Englandrural district 1935-1974
Broxtowe District, Nottinghamshire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Stapleford is a town in the county of Nottinghamshire, England some 9 kilometres (5.6 mi) west of the centre of Nottingham. The population of the town at the 2011 census was 15,241.

Stapleford lies on the border between Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire. To the north of Stapleford is Ilkeston and to the east is Beeston. To the west across the River Erewash is Sandiacre, and to the south is Toton.

Stapleford's origins can be traced to before Norman times. In the churchyard of St Helen's church is the Stone Cross which dates back to Saxon times and is said to be the oldest Christian memorial in the Midlands of England.

Stapleford owed its development in part to its closeness to the River Trent and the River Erewash as the town became a central point for trade. The antiquary John Weever defined a staple town "to be a place, to which by the prince's authority and privilege wool, hides of beasts, wine, corn or grain, and other exotic or foreign merchandize [merchandise] are transferred, carried or conveyed to be sold." The area also expanded during the late 18th century when the stocking hose trade thrived in the Midlands. Evidence of this history can be found today with the original Stocking Knitters' Houses still standing alongside more modern properties and shops such as on Nottingham Road.

Image:Broxtowe Parishes map.png

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Stapleford, Nottinghamshire. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.