Place:Grittleton, Wiltshire, England

Watchers
NameGrittleton
Alt namesFoscotesource: hamlet in parish
Leigh Delameresource: hamlet in parish
Leigh-Delameresource: variation of above
Littleton Drewsource: hamlet in parish
Littleton-Drewsource: variation of above
Littleton St. Andrewsource: variation of above
Littleton-St. Andrewsource: variation of above
Sevingtonsource: hamlet in parish
The Gibbsource: hamlet in parish
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates51.519°N 2.203°W
Located inWiltshire, England
See alsoDamerham Hundred, Wiltshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Chippenham Rural, Wiltshire, Englandrural district, 1894 - 1934
Calne and Chippenham Rural, Wiltshire, Englandrural district, 1934 - 1974
North Wiltshire District, Wiltshire, England1974-2009
Wiltshire District, Wiltshire, England2009--
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Grittleton is a village and civil parish in Wiltshire, England, 6 miles (10 km) northwest of Chippenham. The parish includes the hamlets of Foscote, Leigh Delamere, Littleton Drew and Sevington, and part of the hamlet of The Gibb. The parish had a population of 539 in the UK census of 2011.

The Gauze Brook, a small tributary of the Avon, rises near Littleton Drew and flows east across the parish. The M4 motorway was opened in 1971 across the south of the parish.

The Fosse Way Roman road crosses the parish from north to southwest. The Domesday Book of 1086 recorded settlements of 23 households at "Gretelintone" (Grittleton), 15 at Sevamentone (Sevington) and 16 at Liteltone (Littleton Drew).

The Grittleton estate was bought in 1828 by Joseph Neeld, a London lawyer who had inherited a considerable sum. Over time he replaced the manor house with a much larger building, and built lodges and extensive stables. His philanthropy in the parish included the rebuilding of the near-derelict church at Leigh Delamere and construction of a row of six almshouses nearby; farms were improved and houses were built for estate workers, together with a small private school at Sevington. After Joseph's death in 1856 the estate passed to his brother John.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Grittleton. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.