Place:Lambley, Northumberland, England

Alt namesHarper Townsource: alternate placename
Asholmesource: hamlet in parish
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates54.92°N 2.508°W
Located inNorthumberland, England
See alsoTynedale Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Haltwhistle Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1955
Coanwood, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955
source: Family History Library Catalog

the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Lambley, formerly known as Harper Town, is a village in Northumberland, England about 4 miles (6 km) southwest of Haltwhistle. The village lies adjacent to the River South Tyne. The place name Lambley refers to the "pasture of lambs".

Lambley was an ancient parish in the Tynedale Ward which also became a civil parish in the 19th century. From 1894 it was part of Haltwhistle Rural District. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed into the parish of Coanwood.

Lambley used to be the site of a small convent of Benedictine Nuns, founded by Adam de Tindale and Heloise, his wife, in the 12th century. The Scots led by William Wallace devastated it in 1296 or 1297. However it was restored and one William Tynedale was ordained priest to the nunnery in about 1508 - probably not William Tyndale, the reformer, as once believed, but another man of the same name. At the time of the suppression of religious houses by Henry VIII the nunnery contained six inmates. Nothing now remains but the bell from the nunnery which hangs in the church and a few carved stones. The village lies in the Midgeholme Coalfield and there are reserves of good quality coal remaining.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Lambley from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"LAMBLEY, a small village and a parish in Haltwhistle [registration] district, Northumberland. The village stands on the river South Tyne, adjacent to the Alston railway, 2½ miles from the boundary with Cumberland, and 4¼ SSW of Haltwhistle; and has a station on the railway. The parish contains also the hamlet of Asholme; and its post-town is Haltwhistle, under Carlisle. Acres: 2,698. Real property: £1,555. Population: 357. Houses: 65. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to R. L. Allgood, Esq. A Benedictine nunnery was founded here by King John, or by Adam de Tindale; was destroyed by the Scots under Wallace, in 1296; was afterwards rebuilt; was given, at the dissolution, to the Dudleys and the Featherstonehaughs; and has completely disappeared. An ancient fortress stood on Castle-hill; and vestiges of a deep moat exist there. Some ancient oak coffins, as black as ebony, have been found near the river. The living is a donative in the diocese of Durham. Value: not reported. Patron: R. L. Allgood, Esq. The church is ancient and good."

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Lambley, Northumberland. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.