Place:Heddon on the Wall, Northumberland, England

NameHeddon on the Wall
TypeTownship, Parish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates54.993°N 1.791°W
Located inNorthumberland, England
See alsoTynedale Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Castle Ward Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1974
East Heddon, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish absorbed in 1955
Houghton and Closehouse, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish absorbed in 1955
Rudchester, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish absorbed in 1955
West Heddon, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish absorbed in 1955
Whitchester, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish absorbed in 1955
Castle Morpeth District, Northumberland, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area 1974-2009
source: Family History Library Catalog
the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Heddon on the Wall is a village in Northumberland, England, located on Hadrian's Wall. Heddon on the Wall is roughly 9 miles (14 km) west of the centre of Newcastle upon Tyne, and just outside Throckley. The population in the UK census of 2011 was 1,563.

Prior to the 1960s, Heddon on the Wall was a small village with an economy based strongly on traditional industry including farming and coal mining. Large-scale coal mining close to the village began in the late 1950s with the opening of the Bays Leap, a 120 hectares (300 acres) opencast mine site located a short distance north of Heddon-on-the-Wall. The site supported seven coal seams at its peak, and evidence was found of earlier mine shafts. Bays Leap closed in 1966.

Heddon on the Wall was an ancient parish and became a civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Castle Ward Rural District. In 1955 it absorbed the civil parishes of East Heddon, Houghton and Closehouse, Rudchester, West Heddon and Whitchester. All but Rudchester had been townships in the ancient parish. From 1974 until 2009 it was part of the Castle Morpeth District of Northumberland. Northumberland is now a unitary authority.

Townships in the Parish

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Heddon-on-the-Wall. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.