Place:Halton, Northumberland, England

Alt namesHalton-Chestersource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeTownship, Chapelry, Civil parish
Coordinates55.004°N 2.004°W
Located inNorthumberland, England
See alsoCorbridge, Northumberland, Englandancient parish of which it was part
Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient division in which it was located
Hexham Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1955
Whittington, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955
source: Family History Library Catalog
the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Halton is a village and civil parish in the southern part of Northumberland, England. It is situated a few miles north of Corbridge just south of Hadrian's Wall.

Halton Castle is a pele tower and grade I listed building.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Halton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"HALTON, a township and a chapelry in Corbridge parish, Northumberland. The township lies on the Roman wall, adjacent to Watling street, 5 miles NE of Hexham. Acres: 798. Population: 45. Houses: 8. Halton Castle, ½ a mile S of the Roman wall, belonged to the Haltons; passed to the Carnabys; belongs now to Sir E. Blackett; consists chiefly of stones taken from Roman buildings; and is a massive square tower, with corner turrets. A Jacobean farm house is attached to it; and has some Roman mouldings and a weathered sculpture, which probably was part of a sepulchral slab. A small old church is near the castle, and appears, like the castle, to have been built chiefly of Roman stones. Halton-Chesters, on the Roman wall, was the station Hunnum, occupied by the Ala Sabiniana; comprised an area of 4¼ acres; but is now so obliterated that even an antiquary who has not been forewarned, might pass through it without recognising it; yet, so late as 1827, when the last portion of it was subjected to the plough, was found to contain numerous substructions of very careful masonry.
"The chapelry includes also Halton-Shields township, and is annexed to the vicarage of Corbridge in the diocese of Durham."

Halton was a township in the ancient parish of Corbridge. In 1866 it became a separate civil parish. From 1894 it was part of Hexham Rural District. In 1955 it was abolished as a civil parish and its area was absorbed into the newly formed parish of Whittington.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Halton. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.