Place:Great Horkesley, Essex, England

NameGreat Horkesley
TypeVillage, Civil parish
Located inEssex, England
See alsoLexden and Winstree Rural, Essex, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1974
Colchester (district), Essex, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog

HORKESLEY, (GREAT) a pleasant, scattered village, on the south side of the vale of the river Stour, opposite Nayland on the Suffolk side of the river, where there is a good bridge, up to which the Stour is navigable for small craft. Horkesley Green and Causeway, and the principal part of the village, are in the higher part of the vale, from 1 to 3 miles South of Nayland, and from 4 to 5 miles North of Colchester. The parish contains 730 inhabitants, and about 3000 acres of land, which was anciently part of the parish and manor of Nayland, or Neyland, and as such it was granted, in 1256, to John de Burgh, who had free warren here. It afterwards passed to the Neyland, Scrope, Shelley, Bayning, Freeman, and other families. The manor has recently been purchased by Jas. Cuddon, Esq., of Norwich, but the soil belongs to Earl de Grey, Lord Ashburton, Sir J. R. Rowley, G. & W. S. Sadler, J. L. and R. Green, Capt. Kelso, W. Corder, and several other proprietors, chiefly copyholders. Brewood Hall farm belongs to Earl de Grey; and Red Park is the seat of Capt. E. J. F. Kelso. Near Woodhouse, is a trench and other remains of an ancient encampment, and some antiquaries are of opinion that it is the site of the British Oppidum, described by Julius Caesar.

The Church (All Saints) has a leaded nave and south aisle, a tiled chancel, and a handsome tower, containing six bells. The rectory, valued in K. B. at £15, and in 1831 at £750, is in the gift of Earl de Grey, and incumbency of the Rev. D. F. Markham, M.A., who has a handsome residence, with woody pleasure grounds. The tithes were commuted in 1839, for £1005.17s.6d. per annum. In the parish is an old Quakers’ Burial Ground, of 36 perches, now a plantation. National and Infant Schools are supported by the rector and other contributors. A small ancient building, on the west side of the Causeway, is supposed to be the remains of Our Lady’s Chapel, founded by John Falcon; and in the south part of the parish is a small chapel of ease, erected about 1837, by J. L. Green, Esq.

The poor have £2.10. yearly from Love’s Charity, (See Aldham) and also £30 a year as the rent of a farm of 30A. at Elmsted, left in 1509, by John Guyon. A farm in the parish belongs to the vicarage of St. Peter’s, Colchester.