Place:Atworth, Wiltshire, England

Watchers
NameAtworth
Alt namesAtfordsource: Family History Library Catalog
Purlpitsource: hamlet in parish
West Hillsource: hamlet in parish
Great Chalfieldsource: parish until 1884
East Chalfieldsource: another name for above
Little Chalfieldsource: parish until 15th century
West Chalfieldsource: another name for above
Little Chalfield with Cottlessource: civil parish 1857-1884
Cottlessource: part of Bradford on Avon until 1857, joined Atworth 1884
Atworth Cottlessource: another name for above
TypeChapelry, Civil parish
Coordinates51.392°N 2.199°W
Located inWiltshire, England
See alsoBradford Hundred, Wiltshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Bradford on Avon Rural, Wiltshire, Englandrural district 1894-1934
Bradford and Melksham Rural, Wiltshire, Englandrural district 1934-1974
West Wiltshire District, Wiltshire, England1974-2009
Wiltshire District, Wiltshire, England2009--
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Atworth is a village, former chapelry and civil parish in west Wiltshire, England. The village is on the A365 road between Melksham and Box, about 2.5 miles (4 km) northwest of Melksham and 4 miles (6 km) northeast of Bradford on Avon.

Contents

History

The present-day civil parish of Atworth was created in 1884 from four former parishes or tithings.

Atworth

Atworth, including Atworth village and the hamlets of Purlpit and West Hill, was a tithing in the northeast of the large ancient parish of Bradford on Avon. This land forms the northern half of the modern parish, with the Roman road from Silchester to Bath as its northern boundary.

A Roman villa (excavated in 1937 and 1971) was a short distance northwest of the present village of Atworth. Poplar Farmhouse is from the 15th century and Manor Farmhouse is from the early 18th century.

Great Chalfield

Great Chalfield (or East Chalfield), to the south of Atworth, was a separate parish until 1884. Great Chalfield Manor was built in the 15th century.

Little Chalfield

Little Chalfield (or West Chalfield) was a separate manor and, in the 14th and 15th centuries, a separate parish. There was a church or chapel, recorded in conveyances up to 1701, but then lost without trace. Little Chalfield became an extra-parochial area until the civil parish of Little Chalfield with Cottles was created in 1857. Little Chalfield Manor is from the early 19th century.

Cottles

Cottles (or Atworth Cottles) was part of the ancient parish of Bradford, then became extra-parochial until 1857. There is no present-day settlement but the name continues in Cottles Wood and Cottles House, a 16th-century building occupied since 1939 by Stonar School.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Atworth. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.