Place:Fobbing, Essex, England

Alt namesPhobingesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 101
TypeInhabited place
Coordinates51.517°N 0.483°E
Located inEssex, England
See alsoOrsett Rural, Essex, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1936
Thurrock, Essex, Englandurban district in which it was located 1936-1974
Thurrock (district), Essex, Englanddistrict municipality/unitary authority in which it has been situated since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Fobbing is a small village in Thurrock District, in Essex, England and one of Thurrock's traditional (Church of England) parishes. It is located between Basildon and Corringham, and is also close to Stanford-le-Hope.

The now quiet village is renowned for its history, which includes being one of the main villages involved with the Peasants' Revolt. On 30 May 1381, the commissioner John Bampton summoned the Fobbing villagers, as well as villagers from Corringham and Stanford, to Brentwood to answer as to why they had not paid tax. The villagers told Bampton that they would give him nothing. Bampton then moved to arrest the villagers. A riot ensued in which the villagers attempted to kill Bampton. Bampton managed to escape to London. Sir Robert Belknap was sent to investigate the incident and to punish the offenders. On 2 June, he was attacked. By this time the violent discontent had spread, and the counties of Essex and Kent were in full revolt. Soon people moved on London in an armed uprising. In 1981 a metal sculpture by B R Coode-Adams was erected as a memorial to the Peasants' Revolt at Fobbing to commemorate the 600th anniversary .

One of the major features of the village is Saint Michael's Church. It is renowned for its historic association with the smuggling trade. Once upon a time the church was near the waterfront of Fobbing Harbour. Smugglers sailed up Fobbing Creek guided by the distinctive church tower but after the great flood of 1 February 1953, the creek and harbour were sealed up by a dyke and drained. Underneath the church are many tunnels which were used by the smugglers in the fourteenth century.

The parish was part of the Orsett Rural District from 1894 until 1936 and the Thurrock Urban District from 1936 until 1974. Since 1974 it has been located in the Thurrock District in Essex (a unitary authority since 1998). Part of the parish was removed to create Billericay Urban District in 1934.

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Fobbing. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.