Place:Fifield Bavant, Wiltshire, England

Watchers
NameFifield Bavant
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates51.025°N 1.977°W
Located inWiltshire, England
See alsoChalk Hundred, Wiltshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Bower Chalke, Wiltshire, Englandparish to which it lost 25% of its area in 1885
Ebbesbourne Wake, Wiltshire, Englandparish to which the remainder of its area was merged in 1894
source: Family History Library Catalog
the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Fifield Bavant is a small village and former civil parish in Wiltshire, England, about 6 miles (10 km) southwest of Wilton, midway between Ebbesbourne Wake and Broad Chalke on the north bank of the River Ebble.

The small Church of England parish church, begun in the 13th century, is dedicated to Saint Martin and is a Grade II* listed building.

The population is now about 20, although it was 49 in 1831.

Fifield Bavant was a separate civil parish for eight centuries. In 1885, it lost its southern area of some 283 acres to Bower Chalke, and in 1894 the parish was extinguished, when the remaining 870 acres of the northern part were annexed to Ebbesbourne Wake. In 1923 the separate ecclesiastical parish also came to an end, when the benefice of St Martin's was united with that of St John the Baptist in Ebbesbourne.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Fifield Bavant. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.