Place:Duddo, Northumberland, England

TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates55.677°N 2.102°W
Located inNorthumberland, England     (1844 - )
Also located inDurham, England     ( - 1844)
See alsoNorhamshire, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Norham and Islandshires Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1955
Grindon, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish absorbed into Duddo in 1955
Felkington, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish absorbed into Duddo in 1955
Berwick upon Tweed District, Northumberland, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area 1974-2009
source: Family History Library Catalog
the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Duddo is a village and civil parish in Northumberland, England, about 8 miles (13 km) southwest of Berwick on Tweed.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Duddo from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"DUDDO, a township and a chapelry in Norham parish, Northumberland. The township lies 3 miles SSW of Norham [railway] station. Acres: 1,651. Population: 311. Houses: 56.
"Grindon-Rigg here was the scene of a victory by the English over the Scots in 1558; and it has some memorials of the battle, and a small Druidical circle and a barrow. The chapelry was constituted in 1866. Population: about 1,000. The living is a vicarage. Value: £340. The church is good."

Duddo was a township in the parish of Norhamshire within the county of Durham until 1844, subsequently in Northumberland. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1974 it was part of Norham and Islandshires Rural District. In 1955 it absorbed the parishes of Grindon and Felkington. In 1974 rural districts were abolished and Duddo became part of the Berwick upon Tweed District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority.

Grindon Rigg or Grindon Ridge mentioned in Wilson's Gazetteer was absorbed into Duddo in 1878. (Source: A Vision of Britain through Time)

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Duddo. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.