Place:Chilcomb, Hampshire, England

Alt namesChilcomb Withinsource: short-term parish built from parish
Chilcomb Withoutsource: longer-term parish built from parish
Ciltecumbesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 122
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates51.05°N 1.267°W
Located inHampshire, England
See alsoFawley Hundred, Hampshire, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Winchester, Hampshire, Englandmunicipal borough in which Chilcomb Within was located 1894-1902 (when in was absorbed into Winchester)
Winchester Rural, Hampshire, Englandrural district in which Chilcomb Without and then Chilcomb were located 1894-1974
Winchester District, Hampshire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog

the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Chilcomb is a small village and civil parish in the Winchester District of Hampshire. It is 3 miles (4.8 km) east of central Winchester and includes the South Downs Way long distance footpath. It has a 21st century population of under 100.

The village has a small Norman church built 1120-40 which has a graveyard with views over Winchester.

The village itself is nestled in a bowl south of the River Itchen surrounded by chalk downs. The north of the parish is crossed by the A31 road between Winchester and Alresford. The M3 motorway runs close to the west of the parish. Southampton is approximately 12 miles away.

end of Wikipedia contribution

Prior to 1974 Chilcomb was located immediately east of Winchester Municipal Borough. In 1894 when rural districts were introduced, it was felt necessary to separate Chilcomb into two parishes: Chilcomb Within and Chilcomb Without. Chilcomb Within was within the Municipal Borough and only lasted as a separate place until 1902 when it was absorbed into Winchester civil parish. Chilcomb Without was located in Winchester Rural District where it was a parish until 1932. In 1932 it was split with 30% of its area being absorbed into Winchester and the remaining 70% being renamed "Chilcomb" civil parish and continuing on in the rural district until 1974. The whole of the original Chilcomb parish is now within the City of Winchester non-metropolitan borough. (Source: A Vision of Britain through Time plus linked pages)

Research Tips

  • Victoria County History of Hampshire, volume 3, chapter on Chilcomb.
  • GENUKI has a list of archive holders in Hampshire including the Hampshire Record Office, various museums in Portsmouth and Southhampton, the Isle of Wight Record Office and Archives.
  • The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project has a large collection of transcriptions from Parish Registers across Hampshire.
  • A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 together with tables listing the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered, along with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
  • The three-storey City Museum in Winchester covers the Iron Age and Roman periods, the Middle Ages, and the Victorian period.
  • Volumes in The Victoria County History Series are available for Hampshire through British History Online. There are three volumes and the county is covered by parishes within the old divisions of "hundreds".
A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
  • A group of maps of the post-1974 municipal districts or boroughs of Hampshire on Wikipedia Commons
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Chilcomb. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.