Place:Haydon, Northumberland, England

Alt namesHaydon-Bridgesource: Family History Library Catalog
Haydon Bridgesource: village in parish
Brokenhaughsource: hamlet in parish
Chesterwoodsource: hamlet in parish
Deanrowsource: hamlet in parish
Elleringtonsource: hamlet in parish
Langleysource: hamlet in parish
Lipwoodsource: hamlet in parish
TypeChapelry, Civil parish
Coordinates54.967°N 2.233°W
Located inNorthumberland, England
See alsoWarden, Northumberland, Englandancient parish in which it was a chapelry
Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Hexham Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1955
Tynedale District, Northumberland, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area 1974-2009
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Haydon Bridge is a village in Northumberland, England, with a population of about 2000. Its most distinctive features are the two bridges crossing the River South Tyne; the picturesque original bridge for which the village was named (now restricted to pedestrian use) and a modern bridge which used to carry the A69 road. A bypass was completed in 2009 and the A69 now bypasses the village to the south.

The modern village is divided in two by the River South Tyne, whereas the old village (Haydon) was to the north, on the hill overlooking the river; all that remains is a Norman church now reduced in size from the original, which used stone taken from nearby Roman Hadrian's Wall. The A686 road joins the A69 just to the south east of the village, linking Haydon Bridge with Alston and Penrith.

Haydon was a township in the ancient parish of Warden and became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1974 the parish was part of Hexham Rural District. In 1974 rural districts were abolished and Haydon became part of the Tynedale District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority. Haydon Bridge is the village, Haydon the township which became a civil parish.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Haydon from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"HAYDON, or HAYDON-BRIDGE, a small town and a chapelry, or in some respects a parish, in Hexham [registration] district, Northumberland. The town stands on both banks of the South Tyne river, and on the Newcastle and Carlisle railway, 7½ miles W of Hexham; consists chiefly of two good streets, extending parallel to the river; has a good bridge of six arches; had formerly a weekly market; and has a post-office‡ under Carlisle, a railway station with telegraph, one or two good inns, a church, four dissenting chapels, a free grammar school, a national school, and alms-houses. The church is an edifice of 1797, with a square tower. J. Martin, the painter, was a native.
"The chapelry contains also the hamlets of Brokenhaugh, Deanrow, Ellerington, Lipwood, Chesterwood, and Langley. Acres: 13,688. Real property: £5,440. Population in 1851: 2,085; in 1861: 2,221. Houses: 434. The manor belonged formerly to Lords Lucy, and belongs now to Greenwich hospital. Langley Castle is a large and stately ruin; first mentioned in 1365; standing now in nearly the same state as when described in 1416; and forming an oblong, with massive, projecting, corner towers. Langley smelting mills are large works of lead and zinc ores. There is also, at the town, a large iron and brass foundry. The tract along the Tyne is fertile and beautiful; but much of the rest of the surface is moor and upland. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Warden, in the diocese of Durham. The old church stands about a mile N of the town; and was converted into a mortuary chapel. The old cemetery bears the name of "cruel syke," probably from some Border foray.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Haydon Bridge. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.