Place:Brockley, Suffolk, England


Located inSuffolk, England
source: Family History Library Catalog

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Brockley (also known as Brockley Green) is a civil parish in the St Edmundsbury borough of Suffolk, England. According to the 2001 census it had a population of 281.

It is situated approximately south of Bury St Edmunds and north of Sudbury on the B1066. Also it is north of Hartest. A small hamlet, recorded in Domesday as "Brochola" or "Broclega": the name originates from 'woodland clearing by a brook'.

Mill Road marks the location of a former post mill which was demolished in 1930. East of B1066 is Willow Tree Farm (now Britton's Farm) (farthest out) with a small chapel (halfway to B1066). West of B1066 is Mile Farm (now Long's Farm) with the Pumping Station farthest west.

Brockley Hall and St Andrew's church are still around 1 km north of the village. St Andrew's dates from mediaeval times but was renovated in 1866. It is a grade II* listed building.

There have been no public houses in the village since the 1980s, although prior to that there had been two: the Fox and Hounds and the The Six Bells.

A blacksmith used to be next door to the pub. A shop, and petrol station closed some years ago.

Brockley Cricket Club started over 50 years ago and supports three league teams playing in local leagues, a midweek team and a youth programme. The village also supports an indoor bowls club that has enjoyed some success in the past.

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Brockley, Suffolk. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.