Place:Burradon in Tyneside, Northumberland, England

NameBurradon in Tyneside
Alt namesBrierdeansource: alternate name
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates55.048°N 1.573°W
Located inNorthumberland, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inTyne and Wear, England     (1974 - )
See alsoEarsdon (near North Shields), Northumberland, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Castle Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Tynemouth Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1912
Longbenton, Northumberland, Englandurban district of which it was part 1912-1974
North Tyneside, Tyne and Wear, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog

NOTE:Burradon (near Alnwick) is another place of the same name that is in the north of Northumberland.

the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Burradon in Tyneside is a village which since 1974 has been in the metropolitan county of Tyne and Wear, England, to the north of Newcastle upon Tyne. It is adjacent to Camperdown and the two villages are closely linked. Camperdown was once known as Hazlerigge. Prior to 1974 it was a civil parish in Northumberland, England.

Between 1820 and 1828 a small coal pit was sunk and this marked the beginnings of the community as it is known today. From 1829–1858 the centre and culture of village life moved from the old medieval settlement surrounding the farm to the ever expanding colliery village of Camperdown.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Burradon in Tyneside from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"BRIERDEAN, or Burradon, a township in Earsdon parish, Northumberland; on the Blyth railway, 5 miles NNW of North Shields. Acres: 535. Population: 507. Houses: 80. Coal and stone are worked. A fearful colliery disaster occurred here in March, 1860."

Burradon in Tyneside was a township in the ancient parish of Earsdon (near North Shields). It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1912 it was part of Tynemouth Rural District. In 1912 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed into the urban district of Longbenton. In 1974 this part of Northumberland became part of the district of North Tyneside within the county of Tyne and Wear.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Burradon, Tyne and Wear. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.