Place:Bowers Gifford, Essex, England

NameBowers Gifford
Alt namesBowers-Giffordsource: Family History Library Catalog
Burasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 100
TypeCivil parish
Coordinates51.567°N 0.533°E
Located inEssex, England
See alsoBillericay Rural, Essex, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1934
Billericay, Essex, Englandurban district to which it was transferred in 1934
Basildon (district), Essex, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog

Bowers Gifford (#2 on the map) is a village and civil parish since 1974 in the southeastern corner of the Basildon Borough of Essex, England. The parish was part of the Billericay Rural District from 1894 until 1934 and the Billericay Urban District from 1936 until 1974.

A nineteenth century description

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of --- from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"BOWERS-GIFFORD, a parish in Billericay [registration] district, Essex; on the Tilbury and Southend railway, 1½ mile E of Pitsea station, and 7 SE of Billericay. It includes part of Canvey island; and has a post office under Chelmsford. Acres: 2,606. Real property: £3,768 Population: 259. Houses: 48. The property is divided among a few. Bowers Hall is the seat of Mrs. Curtis. Much of the land is marshy. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value: £564. Patron: the Rev. Horace Roberts. The church is tolerable."

There is no description of the modern village in Wikipedia.

Research Tips

  • GENUKI provides some references for Bowers Gifford.