Place:Bishopstone (near Shrivenham), Wiltshire, England

Watchers
NameBishopstone (near Shrivenham)
Alt namesBishopston (near Shrivenham)source: alternate spelling
Bishopstone (near Swindon)source: alternate name
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates51.551°N 1.647°W
Located inWiltshire, England
See alsoDownton Hundred, Wiltshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Highworth Rural, Wiltshire, Englandrural district, 1894 - 1974
Thamesdown District, Wiltshire, England1974-2009
Swindon District, Wiltshire, England2009--
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Bishopstone is a village and civil parish in the Swindon unitary authority of Wiltshire, England, about 6 miles (10 km) east of the town of Swindon, and on the county border with Oxfordshire. Until 1974 this part of Oxfordshire was in Berkshire. In 1934 the adjoining parish of Little Hinton, sometimes known as Hinton Parva, was merged with Bishopstone.

Bishopstone lies on the north slope of the Lambourn Downs, overlooking the Vale of White Horse. It is between Wanborough and Ashbury on the historic Icknield Way.

The name of this parish is often given as Bishopstone (near Swindon). Swindon is closer to this Bishopstone than Shrivenham (Swindon is better known and in Wiltshire). There is another Bishopstone near Salisbury in southern Wiltshire.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Bishopstone, Swindon. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.