Place:Beaubassin, Cumberland, Nova Scotia, Canada

Alt namesTantramar Marshessource: Wikipedia
TypeVillage, Settlement
Coordinates45.849128°N 64.260919°W
Located inCumberland, Nova Scotia, Canada     (1672 - )
Also located inAcadie, Nouvelle-France     (1672 - 1710)

Beaubassin was the first settlement on the Isthmus of Chignecto, Nova Scotia, which was Acadian and once served as the capital of the colony (1678-1684). The area is now known as the Tantramar Marshes. Beaubassin was settled in 1672, the second Acadian village to be established after Port Royal. The village was one of the largest and most prosperous in Acadia. The Beaubassin area included Weskak (Westcock), Pre des Bourgs (Sackville), Pre des Richards (Middle Sackville), La Butte, Le Coupe and Le Lac (Aulac) at the confluence of the Missiguash River, Menouie and Eleysian Fields, Maccan (Makon), Nappan (Nepane) and Riviere Hebert.

During Father Le Loutre's War, Beaubassin was destroyed as part of the Acadian Exodus from mainland Nova Scotia. Its residents were resettled to the west side of the Missaquash River and the protection of Fort Beauséjour.

(Source: Wikipedia, last accessed 11 Oct 2013)

Research Tips


source: Family History Library Catalog

For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Beaubassin.