Place:Alton Priors, Wiltshire, England

Watchers
NameAlton Priors
Alt namesAlton-Priorssource: Family History Catalog
TypeChapelry, Civil parish
Coordinates51.36°N 1.842°W
Located inWiltshire, England     ( - 1934)
See alsoOverton, Wiltshire, Englandparish (ancient) in which it was a chapelry
Elstub and Everleigh Hundred, Wiltshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Pewsey Rural, Wiltshire, Englandrural district, 1934 - 1974
Alton, Wiltshire, Englandcivil parish into which it was merged in 1934
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Alton Priors was a chapelry of Overton parish, now West Overton, and became a separate civil parish in 1866. In 1934 the civil parishes of Alton Barnes and Alton Priors were abolished and merged to form the new civil parish of Alton.

All Saints at Alton Priors was built in the 12th century and retains its original Norman chancel arch. The nave has two 14th-century ogee-headed windows and the west window is 15th-century. As at Alton Priors, the original chancel has been demolished and replaced with one built of brick. There is also a distinctive brass plaque to local landowner William Button (1526-1591), with complex artwork and inscription. All Saints is a redundant church in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust and is a Grade II* listed building. The Manor House at Alton Priors (c. 1830) is also Grade II listed.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Alton, Wiltshire. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.