Person:Samuel Stone (21)

m. ABT. 1622
  1. Ezechiel Stone
  2. Mary Stone
  3. John Stone
  4. Lidda Stone
  5. Jerome Stone
  6. Jerymyas (Jeremias) Stone
  7. Rev. Samuel Stone1602 - 1663
  8. Elizabeth Stone1621 - BET 1681 - 1682
  9. Sarah Stone1625 - AFT 1719
m. by abt 1634
  1. Rebecca Stoneabt 1636 - Bet 1707-1709
  2. Mary Stoneest 1638 -
  3. Sarah Stone1640 -
m. by 25 Jul 1641
  1. Samuel Stoneaft 1641 - 1683
  2. Elizabeth Stoneest 1645 - aft 1695
Facts and Events
Name Rev. Samuel Stone
Gender Male
Christening? 30 JUL 1602 Hertford, Hertfordshire, EnglandAll Saints Church
Marriage by abt 1634 to Unknown Unknown
Marriage by 25 Jul 1641 to Elizabeth Allen
Death? 20 JUL 1663 Hartford, Hartford, Connecticut, United States
Reference Number? Q7412710?

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Samuel Stone (July 18, 1602 – 20 July 1663) was a Puritan Minister.

Stone was born in the town Hertford, in the county of Hertfordshire, England. In 1620, he left Hertford to study at Emmanuel College, Cambridge, from where he graduated in 1624. He was ordained on July 8, 1626 at Peterborough and a year later became curate at Stisted, Essex. In 1633, Samuel Stone and Thomas Hooker sailed across the Atlantic on a ship named the Griffin. They arrived in Boston on the 4th of September of the same year, and a few weeks later, Samuel Stone became Teacher of Church. In 1644, he became a Freeman.

In 1636, Stone and Hooker led their congregation from New Towne (now Cambridge, Massachusetts) and established a new colony at House of Hope (a Dutch fort and trading post), making peace with the local Indians and renaming the town they called Saukiog as Hartford, after Stone's birthplace - they thus became the town's founding fathers.

REV. Stone was twice married. By his second wife, Elizabeth Allyn, who he espoused in 1641, he had four (4?) surviving children -- a son Samuel and four daughters, Elizabeth, Rebecca, Mary and Sarah. Stone published “A Congregational Church, a Catholike Visible Church” London 1642, 4to, in answer to Samuel Hudson’s Visible Catholick Church (1645, 4to) and left two works in manuscript: a catechism and a confustation of the Antinomians. (Winthrop’s History of New England, ed 1853, i 108,109,115,142,235; Mather’s Magnalia, ed 1853 i 434-8; Walker’s first church in Hartford, passim; Appleton’s Cyclopaedia of American Biography, v. 703).

Samuel Stone, grantee, bought land in district 376, 379, and 380 in February 1639, from John Stone, Mr. Wylilys, and Thomas Hooker. He sold land that same month in district 45, 330 (grantee not listed) and to John Marsh in District 376. On 6 May 1663 he sold land in district 122 (grantee not listed). June 1673 he sold land to George Gardner in district 358, and same month vol 1 pg 31, buyer not listed. January 9 1681 Samuel Stone is grantor in dist. 527; May 26 1683 in dist. 308 and Aug 31 1683 dist. 570 -- his last sale. In 1699 vol. 1 pg 197 is records grantor Samuel Stone, Est to John Roberts and Caleb Stanley.

There is a statue of Samuel Stone in the centre of Hertford, Hertfordshire.

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Samuel Stone. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

Griffin (1633)
The Griffin carried men of note including Rev. John Cotton and Rev. Thomas Hooker, whose company founded Hartford, Connecticut.
Sailed: Jul? 1633 from Downs, England
Arrived: 4 Sep 1633 at Boston, Massachusetts Bay Colony

~200 (Full List)
Rev. John Cotton - Theophilus Cushing - Bartholomew Greene - Gov. John Haynes - Rev. Thomas Hooker - Atherton Hough - Thomas Leverett - Edmund Quincy (servant Thomas Meakins) - Richard Risley - Rev. Samuel Stone - among others

Resources: Primary Sources:
Other information: Griffin (ship)

  1.   Society of the Descendants of the Founders of Hartford, [1].

    Rev. Samuel Stone, son of John Stone, a freeholder of that place, was b. in Hertford, Co. Herts (usually at that time sounded Hartford) ; bapt. July 30, 1602, in the church of All Saints; entered at Emmanuel Coll., Cambridge, 1620; A.B, 1623 ; A.M., 1627. Recent discoveries show that a Samuel Stone, probably this one, was curate at Stisted, Co. Essex, near Chelmsford, from June 13, 1627 to Sept. 13, 1630. He came to New England with Cotton, Hooker, and other men of note, in the "Griffin," arriving at Boston, Sept. 4, 1633; chosen Teacher of the church at Cambridge, Oct. 11, 1633; freeman, Mass., May 14, 1634; removed to Hartford in 1636, where be was an original proprietor, and in 1639 his home-lot was on the north bank of the Little River, between those of Rev. Thomas Hooker and Elder William Goodwin. He served as chaplain to the troops under Capt. Mason in the Pequot War, 1637. His wife d. 1640, before Nov. 2 or 3, when Mr. Hooker mentions her death in a letter to Rev. T. Shepard, saying that she “smoaked out her days in the darkness of melancholy.” He m. (2) before July, 1641, Elizabeth Allen, of Boston. After Mr. Hooker's decease he was the sole pastor of the First Church until his death, July 20, 1663. Inv. £563. 1. His widow m. (2) George Gardner, of Salem, afterward of Hartford, and d. in 1681.