Merge project is NOT QUITE complete
- The duplicate review project has ended. The vast majority, though not all, duplicate families have been merged. The remainder will be merged as they are discovered through normal usage. THANK YOU to everyone who participated!
- Due to a bug in the software, several thousand families that still need to be merged were not reported the merge project was pronounced complete on September 3rd. So merging is still going on. Read more in the section titled merging duplicates.
This project was pronounced complete on 3 September, 2009. In all, over 43,000 duplicate families have been merged over the past 12 months! Now that the GEDCOM upload & match process is in place, new duplicates should be rare.
The following lists the people who performed more than 100 merges. Many thanks to them!
In addition, approximately 150 other people performed between 1 and 100 merges each.
In Fall 2008 we discovered that although we had wiki pages for around 1,000,000 people, an estimated 100,000-200,000 of them were duplicates -- two or more wiki pages created for the same person. This year, volunteers have been reviewing and merging these duplicate pages. The goal is to create pando for genealogy, combining the information from each of the contributors into a single unified tree. We hope to finish the review by the end of this year. GEDCOM's uploaded from this point on go through a duplicate check as part of the upload process.
How you can get involved
If you want to find out which of your families have probable-duplicates, click on Show duplicates in the MyRelate menu. If you want to read instructions on merging duplicate families, click here.
The following list shows the potential duplicate families to merge. Due to an earlier bug in reporting duplicates, there are still a number of families on the list. User:Solveig has offered to review and merge the remaining duplicates.
remaining duplicate families
- Multiple Parents A-B --sq 14:47, 16 September 2009 (EDT) done --sq 15:26, 15 October 2009 (EDT)
- Multiple Parents C-E ----C, D complete; researching remaining E --Judy (jlanoux) 15:06, 19 August 2011 (EDT)
- Multiple Parents F-I -- F complete --Judy (jlanoux) 15:06, 19 August 2011 (EDT)
- Multiple Parents J --sq 13:09, 11 November 2009 (EST)
- Multiple Parents K-M --sq 06:00, 3 March 2010 (EST)
- Multiple Parents N-S -- --sq 11:21, 8 September 2010 (EDT)
- Multiple Parents T-Z --Brenda (kennebec1) 18:50, 7 February 2010 (EST)brenda did Z, but it is a bit scary to decide these! Hope it is ok I jumped in; it sounded like a fun thing to do at the time, since I had just finished working on my own dupes. I will try to come back and do more...
- Multiple Spouses A-Z Judy is working on Unknowns as I have time --Judy (jlanoux) 13:47, 2 August 2011 (EDT)
- Discussion has been moved to the talk page.