Test, Test ... start of a Portal Page
Volunteer Labors of Genealogical Love
The Volunteer Labors of Genealogical Love wiki provides a place where volunteers offer to provide research time (without charge) to researchers who need "boots on the ground" genealogy help in a distant location.
While volunteers perform research services without charging for their time, they do incur expenses that they may ask reimbursement for: copies, gas, parking fees, postage, etc. (The minimal charge for the volunteer's expenses is a lot less than it would cost a researcher to travel to the area and perform the research on their own.)
The Volunteer Labors of Genealogical Love wiki is a genealogy research community wiki for both researchers and volunteers. Anyone can edit the wiki to correct typos, misinformation, update links, update volunteer information, provide additional information, etc.
Explore the wiki and enjoy!
Questions? Concerns? Leave a message on this page's Talk page or send a message to VLOGL.
(See the Talk link on the left Navigation bar)
Questions? Concerns? Leave a message on this talk page.
Left Box 1!
Researchers -- General Guidelines
When submitting your request:
- Make your request as specific as possible -- avoid being too general.
- ONLY request research for the areas the volunteer is offering to research. (Do NOT ask a volunteer for out-of-area requests.)
- Never ask more than one volunteer for the same request.
- Ask the volunteer what services they may request reimbursement for: copies, gas, parking fees, etc.
Note: If no volunteer is listed in the area you need:
Watch the page to be alerted of changes to the page -- e.g., the addition of a new volunteer(s).
(Click the Watch link in the left navigation panel.)
Remember ... volunteers perform research as a labor or love and are not "on the clock," research for more than one person at a time, and provide results in a reasonable period of time from the initial request. Negotiate an estimated time to perform the research and do not get upset with a researcher if you do not get results "overnight."
Click one of the state links below to access a list of volunteers who perform research services in that state.
Help Files and FAQs
Info for Volunteers
NEW volunteers, to become a VLOGL volunteer, contact: VLOGL with the following information, in the order specified:
- Your name: (This is a "display name". If your name is Suzanna Smith, you could want a display name of "Suz-eQ" .. "Sue" ... "Suzanna" ... or even "Suzanna Smith"
- Volunteer Services: (Describe the services you are willing to provide -- i.e., tombstone photos, obituaries, public records lookups, etc.)
- Reimbursements(if any): Indicate the actual expenses you wish to be reimbursed for: gas/mileage, copies, fees, postage, etc.
Note: Upon initial contact with the researcher, provide an estimated completion time for the research request so that they have a reasonable expectation of when they can see results.
EXISTING volunteers may edit your own information or request changes by contacting: VLOGL
Click one of the Country links below to access a list of volunteers who perform research services in that Country.
Right Box 2!
Help fund new features!