Thyatira Presbyterian, North Carolina

Watchers
Share

Sources

Thyratira Presbyterian Church web site


Notes

Thyatira is believed to be the oldest Presbyterian Church west of the Yadkin River. In fact, it is one of the oldest Presbyterian churches in North Carolina, and is known as the "Mother of Presbyterianism" in North Carolina. It is located in Rowan County, ten miles west of Salisbury on Highway 150, in the Mill Bridge community. A land entry dated 1750 in Anson County records reveals that a "meeting House and burial ground" were in existence here by that date. This means the meeting house was probably in existence as early as 1747. For many years it was known as Cathey's Meeting House. The name was changed to Thyatira Church during the pastorate of Dr. Samuel McCorkle, in the late eighteenth century.
Fundraiser
Help fund new features!