Stillwell, John E., 1903. Historical and Genealogical Miscellany: Data Relating to the Settlement and Settlers of New York and New Jersey. Vol. I-V. New York, NY, USA:
From: Ancestry.com. Historical and Genealogical Miscellany: New York and New Jersey, Vols. I-V [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2002.
- A series of five volumes containing historical and genealogical miscellany compiled by John Stillwell. These records were gathered together in an effort to record the Stillwell families in New York and New Jersey. However, the scope was broadened to include all the records that Mr. Stillwell was searching when he realized the value of preserving the records for others. These volumes contain records of town court, early road surveys, cattle marks, and other miscellaneous matter for Richmond County, New York. There are also many church and court records from New Jersey.
This work lists the sources upon which the compilation was based, but does not indicate where specific records came from. Verification and validation of any given datum would require guessing as to which of the many sources used, a particular record came from, and then locating the original records.
Vol. 1 to 2 includes records from a variety of primary sources, viz:
- Liber A., Richmond Co., New York Records
- Dutch Church Records, Staten Island, N.Y.
- Census of Staten Island, N.Y., 1706
- Parish Register of Christ Church, Shrewsbury, N.J.
- Epitaphs from Christ Church (Episcopal), Shrewsbury, N.J.
- A Discourse By Way of Dialogue, etc.
- Log of a Journey from Red Bank, N.J., to New York City
- Records of the Court of Sessions of the West Riding of Yorkshire
- The Friends' Records, of Shrewsbury, N.J. (Marriages, Births and Deaths)
- Second Volume of Friends' Records, of Shrewsbury, N.J. (Marriages, Births, Deaths, Errata)
- Inscriptions from Friends' Meeting House Yard, Shrewsbury, N.J.
- Records of Cape May Co., N.J., Liber A.
- Court Records, Burlington, New Jersey
- Parish Register of St. Mary's (St. Ann's), Burlington, N.J.
- Inscriptions, St. Mary's Churchyard, Burlington, N.J.
- First Town Book of Middletown, N.J.
- Record of Ear Marks of Middletown, N.J.
- Record of the Baptist Church, Middletown, N.J.
- James Mott's Journal
- Inscriptions, Burying Grounds, Monmouth County, N.J.
- Bible Records, Monmouth County, N.J.
- Patents for Lands on Quit Rents, Monmouth County, N.J.
- Surveys of Lands on Quit Rents, Monmouth County, N.J.
- Warrants for Survey on Lands on Quit Rents, Monmouth County, N.J.
- Quit Rents of Shrewsbury, East New Jersey
- Quit Rents of Middletown, East New Jersey
- Gawen Lawrie's Accounts, East Jersey Quit Rents
- Account of Shrewsbury Patents
- Middletown Quit Rents
- Abstracts from Men's Monthly Meetings, Shrewsbury, N.J.
volumes 3-5 deal with specific family lines
Help fund new features!