Albemarle Parish was a pre-Revolutionary War Episcopal parish that reflected the political and civil dominance of the Church of England in the affairs of Virginia at the time. Albemarle Parish should not be confused with Albemarle County.
Albemarle Parish was created in Surry County, Virginia in 1738 from those parts of Lawne's Creek and Southwark parishes that lay southwest of Blackwater River. The remaining parts of Lawne's Creek and Southwark were united into Southwark Parish. The entire area of Albemarle Parish was incorporated into Sussex County, Virginia when it was formed from the southwestern end of Surry County in 1754. The parishes were abolished around the time of the Revolutionary War.
This book includes Albemarle Parish records from 1739 to 1778, transcribed and edited by Gertrude R. B. Richards and indexed by Florence M. Leonard of the National Society Colonial Dames of America in the Commonwealth of Virginia.