PREFATORY NOTE (from the original 1913 edition)
"The town of Norwich has been fortunate in the possession of a historian of unusual ability, fidelity and accuracy. The reader is therefore referred for all details concerning its story to Miss F. M. Caulkins admirable History of Norwich, (Hartford, 1866). It may here be noted that Norwich was settled in 1659, under the name of Mohegan, and received its present name in 1662. The original township was much larger than its present extent. Beside the portion now known as Norwich, it embraced a part of Preston, including the present township of Griswold, till set off in 1687. Till 1786, it embraced the present townships of Bozrah, Franklin, and Lisbon; and, till 1861, the present township of Sprague. Till the times of these separate incorporations the vital statistics of these towns will be found in these volumes. …
Ecclesiastically the First Society was that of Norwich Town which was the earliest portion of the territory to be settled. The Second Society was in the district known as West Farms or Franklin. The Third Society was in what was successively known as Newent and Lisbon. The Fourth Society was approximately in the territory called New Concord and afterwards Bozrah. The Fifth Society was that denominated the 'Long' or 'East' Society in Preston. The Sixth Society was in that part of Norwich known as Chelsea and is now called the Second Society. The Seventh Society, formerly known as Pautipaug, is now extinct. The Eight Society was formerly called Hanover, now the town of Sprague. The Church Records of all these societies, where extant, have been copied by the Connecticut Society of Colonial Dames of America and these copies are in the possession of that society."
URL for American Ancestors has changed May be ordered through the nearest Family History Center.
FHL film numbers