||Old Kittery, 1647-1947
||300th Anniversary Book
||300th Anniversary Publication Committee
|300th Anniversary Publication Committee. Old Kittery, 1647-1947: 300th Anniversary Book. (Kittery, Me.: Piscataqua Press, 1947).|
This booklet contains very brief extracts of original documents or descriptions of York, Maine, and New England. Contents include:
- 1603 June. Sir Ferdinando Gorges: The Englishman Who Once Owned Maine as his Private Property
- 1614 May. Captain John Smith: The Admiral of "That Countrie"
- 1633 July thirteen. Ambrose Gibbins: The Boss of a New Plantation at Sturgeon Creek
- 1638 Summer. John Underhill: Sailor & Man of Vision
- 1652 November sixteen. John Bursly: He was Happy to be Just a Kitt'ry-ite
- 1695 September seventh. Charles ffrost: Early Indian Fighter
- 1745 June eighteen. William Pepperrell: Home Grown Military Leader
- 1777 October thirty-one. John Paul Jones: Stormy Petrel, Number 1 Fighter, Continental Navy
- 1778 February fourteen. Ezra Green: Navy Doctor Seeing the Sights Abroad
- 1784 March nine. Mark Fernald: Early Spiritual Advisor
- 1789 November second. George Washington: The First President on Tour
- 1814 Autumn. Mark Dennett: Kittery Minute Man - 1812
- 1830 August twenty-four. Gideon Beck: Former Editor of an Old Portsmouth Newspaper
- 1862 September. Celia Thaxter: Her Love made a Pile of Rocks a Paradise
- 1885 April thirteen. Robert Browning: International Friendship
- History is old, yet young--In kittery!: Portland Press Herald editorial, 7 July 1947
The booklet is available on Ancestry.com. Free access to the Heritage Quest Online collection is available from many libraries, both on-site and at home via a library card. Check with local libraries for more information.
WorldCat provides information on local libraries with copies of this title.