In 2009 a study was begun of the ancestors of Samuel Jackson based on his wife's Application for Pension and a letter written by the to someone later inquiring about this application. This study was initiated because several descendants of Samuel had received DNA results indicating they were related in some as yet unknown way to the descendants of Robert Jackson, immigrant who settled in Hempstead, Long Island.
As Prince William (and Stafford) have lost many early records, the following descendancy chart contains several conjectures, based on the several deeds and wills available and recognizing that the DNA says these folks are related.
There are SEVEN men named Samuel and FOUR men named Francis. It has been a challenge to sort them out and the following is our best effort so far. Note that the earliest land records were in Stafford County as Prince William was not formed until 1731.
As a basis for this study, the following county formations are noted:
By 1636 there was little to no settlement in the Northern Neck. It was then called "The Chickacoan District" and was not formally organized into a county (Northumberland) until "about 1645."
In 1648, the Northern Neck had been formed into Northumberland County and in 1653 became a part of Westmoreland County.
When Stafford County was formed in 1665 it consisted of all the north part of the Neck, lying between the Potomac and Rappahannock Rivers continuing back to the Blue Ridge along these rivers.
Lancaster was formed from Northumberland (and York) in 1651.
Westmoreland out of Northumberland 1653
1664/5 Stafford County formed out of Westmoreland
25 Mar 1731 PRINCE WILLIAM created from KING GEORGE and STAFFORD. (Hening, 4:303)
01 Dec 1742 PRINCE WILLIAM lost to creation of FAIRFAX. (Hening, 5:207-208)
01 May 1759 PRINCE WILLIAM lost to creation of FAUQUIER. (Hening, 7:311-312)
1. Samuel Jackson (b.bet 1645 and 1662;d.1722-Stafford Co.,Virginia)
2. Francis Jackson Sr. (b.Bef 1687;d.by 1723-Stafford,Virginia)
3. Francis Jackson II (b.Bef 1710-Overwharton Parish,Stafford Co.,VA;d.Bef 7 Jan 1782-Prince William Co.,VA)
sp: Sarah 'Sally" Tyler (b.Abt 1718-Stafford Co.,Virginia;m.Aft 1734;d.unknown)
4. Mary Jackson (b.Abt 1737-Overwharton Parish,Stafford Co.,Virginia;d.Bef Apr 1804-Virginia)
sp: Capt. George Carter (b.25 Mar 1733-OP,Stafford Co.,Virginia;m.Abt 1753;d.9 Jul 1810-Cocke, TN)
4. Charles Jackson (b.prob by 1739-Prince William Co.,Virginia;d.Bef Feb 1771-Prince William Co.,Virginia)
sp: Jane Unknown (d.Aft Feb 1771)
4. Samuel Jackson (b.Abt 1755-Prince William Co.,VA;d.btw 27 Feb and 1 May 1815-Prince William Co.,VA)
sp: Mary Farrow (b.1759-Prince William Co.,Virginia;d.Bef 29 Jul 1819-Prince William Co.,Virginia)
4. Jane 'Janney' Jackson (d.unknown)
sp: William Fielder (d.unknown)
sp: Sarah Ridley (d.Bef Dec 1781-Prince William Co.,Virginia)
4. Francis Jackson III (b.btw 1760 & 1763;d.unknown)
4. Susannah Jackson (b.btw 1763 & 1781;d.unknown)
4. Constant Jackson (b.btw 1763 & 1781;d.unknown)
4. Elizabeth Jackson (b.btw 1763 & 1781;d.unknown)
4. Ann Jackson (b.btw 1763 & 1781;d.unknown)
3. Samuel Jackson Sr. (b.Abt 1720-Stafford Co.,VA;d.btw 29 Jan 1785 and 6 Mar 1786-Prince William Co.,VA)
4. Francis Jackson (b.poss abt 1746-Prince William Co.,Virginia;d.unknown)
sp: Lidia Unknown (d.unknown)
4. John Jackson (b.Abt 1748-Virginia;d.Bef Feb 1826-Mt. Sterling,Bath County,Kentucky)
sp: Chloe Ann Calvert (b.Abt 1757-Virginia;d.Aft 1850-Montgomery County,Kentucky)
4. George Jackson (b.guessestimate 1752-Prince William Co.,Virginia;d.unknown)
4. Samuel Jackson Jr. (b.1756-Prince William Co.,VA;d.12 Mar 1844-Morgan Co.,Illinois)
sp: Vashti Grinnan (b.Abt 1763-Fauquier Co.,Virginia;m.11 Aug 1777;d.28 Sep 1846-Morgan Co.,Illinois)
4. Nancy Jackson (b.prob bef 1770;d.unknown)
sp: James Roach (m.Bef 1785;d.unknown)
2. Elizabeth Jackson (b.Bef 1688;d.unknown)
2. John J. Jackson (b.Abt 1712-Overwharton Parish,Stafford Co.,VA;d.unknown)
sp: Sarah Unknown (d.date unknown)
3. Sarah Jackson (b.2 Nov 1740-Overwharton Parish,Stafford Co.,VA;d.date unknown
Categories: Stafford, Virginia, United States | Prince William, Virginia, United States | Overwharton Parish, Stafford, Virginia, United States | Dettingen Parish, Prince William, Virginia, United States