|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England ( - 1955)|
|See also||Kirknewton, Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Glendale Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Glendale Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1955|
|Kirknewton, Northumberland, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Yeavering is a very small hamlet in the northeast corner of the civil parish of Kirknewton in the English county of Northumberland. It is located on the River Glen at the northern edge of the Cheviot Hills. It is noteworthy as the site of a large Anglo-Saxon settlement that archaeologists have interpreted as being one of the seats of royal power held by the kings of Bernicia in the 7th century AD.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Yeavering. Plenty more if you are an archaelogist.
Yeavering was a township in the ancient parish of Kirknewton and became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Bellingham Rural District. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed back into the parish of Kirknewton.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.