Place:Yearsley, North Riding of Yorkshire, England

Watchers
NameYearsley
TypeVillage, Civil parish
Coordinates54.1634°N 1.1007°W
Located inNorth Riding of Yorkshire, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inNorth Yorkshire, England     (1974 - )
Yorkshire, England    
See alsoEasingwold Rural, North Riding of Yorkshire, Englandrural district in which the parish was located 1894-1974
Hambleton District, North Yorkshire, Englandadministrative district in which it is now located
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Yearsley is a small village and civil parish in the district of Hambleton in North Yorkshire, England. It is situated between the market towns of Easingwold and Helmsley.

The entire parish of Yearsley is within the Howardian Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. It was, and remains, a predominantly agricultural village with significant forestry on the moors to the north of the village.

Yearsley is the site of a number of barrows and other early earthworks. Yearsley was also the site of the pottery of William Wedgewood, a relation of the famous Staffordshire Wedgwood family of potters. The village was part of the Newburgh Priory estate of the Wombwell family until 1944.

Yearsley was part of the parish of Coxwold until it became an ecclesiastical parish in 1855 (although this was not sustained) and a civil parish in 1866.

The Pond Head reservoir between Yearsley and Oulston is fed from the nearby source of the River Foss.

Prior to the nationwide municipal reorganization of 1974, Aldwark was part of Easingwold Rural District. Historically, it was located in the Birdforth Wapentake.


Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Yearsley. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.