Together with the hamlet of Meltonby it forms the civil parish of Yapham cum Meltonby (usually known simply as Yapham) which covers approximately 1,830 acres (7.4 km2). The population of Yapham has remained reasonably unchanged for many years with the 1891 UK census identifying a population of 191 with the 2001 UK census identifying a population of 175.
The village was originally known as Iapun / Lapun and the first reference of the village can be found in the Domesday Book (1086).
In 1974 most of what had been the East Riding of Yorkshire was joined with the northern part of Lincolnshire to became a new English county named Humberside. The urban and rural districts of the former counties were abolished and Humberside was divided into non-metropolitan districts. The new organization did not meet with the pleasure of the local citizenry and Humberside was wound up in 1996. The area north of the River Humber was separated into two "unitary authorities"—Kingston-upon-Hull covering the former City of Hull and its closest environs, and the less urban section which, once again, named itself the East Riding of Yorkshire.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Yapham.