|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||North Riding of Yorkshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Yorkshire, England |
|North Yorkshire, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Pickering Lythe Wapentake, North Riding of Yorkshire, England||wapentake in which it was located|
|Scarborough Rural, North Riding of Yorkshire, England||rural district in which it was situated 1894-1974|
|Scarborough District, North Yorkshire, England||administrative district covering the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
Wykeham was originally an ancient parish in Pickering Lythe Wapentake in the North Riding of Yorkshire. In 1866 the status of civil parish was introduced and this was taken on by most ancient parishes and also by their subsidiary townships if they were of any size at all. In 1866 Wykeham, which had no townships, became a civil parish. In 1894 it became part of the Scarborough Rural District of the North Riding.
Since 1974 Wykeham has been in North Yorkshire, specifically within the Scarborough District.
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Wykeham is a small village and civil parish which, since 1974, has been located in the Scarborough District of North Yorkshire, England, on the outskirts of Scarborough and the southern boundary of the North York Moors National Park.
It lies around 7 miles (11 km) away from Scarborough. Surrounding villages include: East Ayton, West Ayton, Snainton, Hutton Buscel, Brompton by Sawdon and Ruston.
According to the 2011 UK census, Wykeham parish had a population of 280, a decrease on the 2001 UK census figure of 290.
- This is by far the most complete history of the parishes of the county to be found online. The chapters are ordered by the divisions of the county called wapentakes, but each chapter is linked to the volume's content page.
- GENUKI has a page on all three ridings of Yorkshire and pages for each of the ecclesiastical parishes in the county. Under each parish there is a list of the settlements within it and brief description of each.
- These are based on a gazetteer dated 1835 and there may have been a number of alterations to the parish setup since then. However, it is worthwhile information for the pre civil registration era. GENUKI provides references to other organizations who hold genealogical information for the local area. There is no guarantee that the website has been kept up to date and the submitter is very firm about his copyright. This should not stop anyone from reading the material.
- The FamilyTree Wiki has a series of pages similar to those provided by GENUKI which may have been prepared at a later date. The wiki has a link to English Jurisdictions 1851 which gives the registration district and wapentake for each parish, together with statistics from the 1851 census for the area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time, Yorkshire North Riding, section "Units and Statistics" leads to analyses of population and organization of the county from about 1800 through 1974. There are pages available for all civil parishes, municipal boroughs and other administrative divisions. Descriptions provided are usually based on a gazetteer of 1870-72.
- Map of the North Riding divisions in 1888 produced by UK Ordnance Survey and provided online by A Vision of Britain through Time
- Map of North Riding divisions in 1944 produced by UK Ordnance Survey and provided online by A Vision of Britain through Time
- The above two maps indicate the boundaries between parishes, etc., but for a more detailed view of a specific area try a map from this selection. The oldest series are very clear at the third magnification offered. Comparing the map details with the GENUKI details for the same area is well worthwhile.
- Yorkshire has a large number of family history and genealogical societies. A list of the societies will be found on the Yorkshire, England page.
Categories: North Riding of Yorkshire, England | Wykeham, North Riding of Yorkshire, England | Pickering Lythe Wapentake, North Riding of Yorkshire, England | Scarborough Rural, North Riding of Yorkshire, England | Scarborough District, North Yorkshire, England | North Yorkshire, England