Place:Wybunbury, Cheshire, England

Watchers
NameWybunbury
Alt namesWimeberiesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 54
Clannor Heathsource: hamlet in parish
Daisy Hill in Wybunburysource: hamlet in parish
The Flagsource: hamlet in parish
Pinfoldsource: hamlet in parish
Haymoor Greensource: hamlet in parish
Howbeck Banksource: hamlet in parish
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates53.046°N 2.451°W
Located inCheshire, England
See alsoNantwich Hundred, Cheshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Nantwich Rural, Cheshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1974
Crewe and Nantwich District, Cheshire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area 1974-2009
Cheshire East District, Cheshire, Englanddistrict municipality and unitary authority covering the area since 2009
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Wybunbury is a village and civil parish in the unitary authority of Cheshire East and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. The village lies 3¼ miles to the south east of Nantwich and 3¾ miles to the south of Crewe. The parish also includes the settlements of Clannor Heath, Daisy Hill in Wyburnbury [there are others!], The Flag, Pinfold and parts of Blakelow, Haymoor Green and Howbeck Bank. Nearby villages include Hough, Shavington, Stapeley and Walgherton. The A51 runs east–west through the southwestern corner of the parish.

According to the 2001 census, the parish had a population of 1,474.

Wybunbury is pronounced "Win-bree"

Wybunbury was an ancient parish with an Anglican church dedicated to St. Chad. It also has a Wesleyan Methodist chapel called Wesley Place built in 1817. (Registers of marriages 1925-1969 are at the Cheshire Record Office.) (Source: GENUKI)

Research Tips

  • The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
  • Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Wybunbury. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.