Eaton Socon was a village and civil parish in Bedfordshire, as was with the neighbouring village of Eaton Ford. In 1965 the parish was abolished, with the rural part becoming the parish of Staploe (which remained in Bedfordshire), whilst the village was joined with the town of St Neots, on the opposite bank of the river Great Ouse in Huntingdonshire. At the same time as this merger, the county of Huntingdonshire merged with the Soke of Peterborough section of Northamptonshire to form the short-lived county of Huntingdon and Peterborough. Nine years later in 1974, Huntingdon and Peterborough was merged with Cambridgeshire. The population of Eaton Socon is around 5000 people (Source:UK Census of 2001).
The village is mentioned as "Eaton" in the Domesday Book, when the manor belonged to Eudo Dapfier. In the 13th century the village became a "Soke", which meant it was independent of the local Hundred Court at Barford. In time, "Soke" became "Socon". The village was also previously known as "Sudbury". Other former parts of Eaton Socon - Duloe, Honeydon, Wyboston and Upper Staploe. Bushmead Priory and the hamlet of Bushmead are also in the parish. These places have all been re-directed here.
GENUKI gives a description of Eaton Socon from a gazetteer of 1868 and also lists the hamlets and small villages which were part of the parish. References to other sources of information on the parish are also given (updated until 2009).