Writhlington is a village near Radstock and 6 miles (10 km) north west of Frome in the Bath and North East Somerset district of Somerset, England. It was a coal mining centre.
1822 - Somersetshire Delineated by Christopher and John Greenwood
Writhlington - a parish in the hundred of Kilmersdon; 8½ miles N.W. from Frome; containing 38 inhabited houses and 41 families, 13 of whom are employed in agriculture. The church is dedicated to St. Mary Magdalen, and consists of a nave, chancel, and one small aisle and porch with a low tower at the west end containing two bells. The living is a rectory belonging to the prebend thereof in Salisbury cathedral, and is united with Fordington. Population 1801, 108 - 1811, 1109 - 1821, 1349
1875 - Somersetshire edited by Edward Robert Kelly
WRITHLINGTON is a small parish and village, 117 miles from London, one mile west from Radstock railway station, 7 north-west from Frome railway station, 8 southwest from Bath, in the Eastern division of the county, Kilmersdon hundred, Frome union and county court district, Froine rural deanery, Wells archdeaconry, and diocese of Bath and Wells. The church of St. Mary Magdalene is a small stone building, in the Decorated style, rebuilt and enlarged in 1874, and consists of chancel, with vestry on the north side, nave, north aisle, and an open belfry containing 2 bells, and south porch. The register dates from the year 1690. The living is a rectory, yearly value £106, with residence, 28 acres of glebe, and a share of coal worked under the glebe, in the gift of the prebendary of Writhlington, in Salisbury Cathedral, and held by the Rev. Henry Butterworth Whiting, B.A., of Christ's College, Cambridge. Here is a National school for boys and girls. Coal abounds, and is extensively worked by a company. This parish belongs to the prebend of Writhlington, in the cathedral church of Salisbury, and Lord Hylton is the present lessee. The soil is various, the greater portion of the parish being light, lying on the inferior oolite, under which is bastard freestone. The crops are a succession of grain. The area is 772 acres; rateable value, £6,346; and the population in 1871 was 401.
1929 - Somerset by George Woosung Wade & Joseph Henry Wade
Writhlington, a small colliery village on a hill 1 m. E. of Radstock. The church, rebuilt in 1874, lies in a valley at the bottom of a steep lane, half a mile from the village. Near the church is an old manor house, at which Cromwell is said to have stopped on his march into Somerset.
Family History Catalog