|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Hampshire, England|
|See also||Chuteley Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located until 1832|
|Basingstoke Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located after 1832|
|Basingstoke Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1932|
|Basingstoke, Hampshire, England||municipal borough into which it was part absorbed in 1932|
|Wootton St. Lawrence, Hampshire, England||civil parish into which it was part absorbed in 1932|
|Basingstoke and Deane District, Hampshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Worting from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "WORTING, a parish in Basingstoke [registration] district, Hants: 2¾ miles W by S of Basingstoke [railway] station. It has a post-office under Basingstoke. Acres: 1,139. Real property: £1,406. Population: 154. Houses: 29. The manor belongs to the Rev. L. W. Wither. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value: £224. Patron: the Rev. L. W. Wither. The church was recently rebuilt."
In 1932 Worting was abolished and its area divided between the municipal borough of Basingstoke and the parish of Wootton St. Lawrence.
- Victoria County History of Hampshire, volume 4, chapter on Worting.
- GENUKI has a list of archive holders in Hampshire including the Hampshire Record Office, various museums in Portsmouth and Southhampton, the Isle of Wight Record Office and Archives.
- The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project has a large collection of transcriptions from Parish Registers across Hampshire.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 together with tables listing the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered, along with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The three-storey City Museum in Winchester covers the Iron Age and Roman periods, the Middle Ages, and the Victorian period.
- Volumes in The Victoria County History Series are available for Hampshire through British History Online. There are three volumes and the county is covered by parishes within the old divisions of "hundreds".
- A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
- A group of maps of the post-1974 municipal districts or boroughs of Hampshire on Wikipedia Commons
Categories: Hampshire, England | Worting, Hampshire, England | Chuteley Hundred, Hampshire, England | Basingstoke Hundred, Hampshire, England | Basingstoke Rural, Hampshire, England | Basingstoke, Hampshire, England | Wootton St. Lawrence, Hampshire, England | Basingstoke and Deane District, Hampshire, England