Worsley has been, since 1974, a town in the metropolitan borough of the City of Salford, in Greater Manchester, England. It lies along the course of Worsley Brook, 5.75 miles (9.25 km) west of Manchester. The M60 motorway bisects the area.
Prior to 1974 Worsley was part of Lancashire. It has provided evidence of Roman and Anglo-Saxon activity, including two Roman roads. The completion in 1761 of the Bridgewater Canal allowed Worsley to expand from a small village of cottage industries to an important town based upon cotton manufacture, iron-working, brick-making and extensive coal mining. Later expansion came after the First and Second World Wars, when large urban estates were built in the region.
From the 11th century, Worsley was a township in the Eccles parish of the hundred of Salford, and county of Lancashire. Worsley was originally in Eccles ecclesiastical parish, and also in Barton-upon-Irwell Poor Law Union. The Swinton area of the township was in 1867 included in the Swinton Local Board of Health, which from 1869 became the Swinton and Pendlebury Local Board of Health. In 1892 a small part of the township of Worsley was absorbed into the Borough of Eccles. In 1894, under the Local Government Act 1894, Worsley Urban District was created. A town hall was opened on 22 June 1911. Worsley Urban District gained 21 acres (85,000 m2) of land from Barton-upon-Irwell Civil Parish in 1921, and in 1933 gained the area of Little Hulton Urban District.
Under the Local Government Act 1972, in 1974 Worsley's Urban District status was abolished, and became part of Salford Metropolitan District.