Place:Wordwell, Suffolk, England

TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish, Hamlet
Coordinates52.317°N 0.683°E
Located inSuffolk, England
See alsoBlackbourn Hundred, Suffolk, Englandhundred in which it was located
St. Edmundsbury District, Suffolk, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Wordwell is a small village and civil parish in Suffolk, England, about five miles north of Bury St. Edmunds. The village was hit by the Black Death in 1348 and never recovered in terms of population; in 2005 it was estimated to have only 20 residents. During the 19th and early 20th centuries it was part of the Culford Estate.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Wordwell from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"WORDWELL, a parish in Thingoe [registration] district, Suffolk; 5¼ miles NNW of Bury-St. Edmunds [railway] station. Post town: Bury.-St. Edmunds. Acres: 2,299. Real property: £964. Population: 65. Houses: 12. The property belongs to the Rev. E. R. Benyon. The living is a rectory, annexed to West Stow."

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Wordwell. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.