Place:Woolverton, Somerset, England

Watchers
NameWoolverton
Alt namesWolvertonsource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates51.285°N 2.299°W
Located inSomerset, England
See alsoFrome Hundred, Somerset, Englandhundred in which it was located
Frome Rural, Somerset, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1933
Tellisford, Somerset, Englandparish into which it was absorbed in 1933
Mendip District, Somerset, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974

NOTE: Woolverton in Somerset should not be confused with the town of Wolverton in Buckinghamshire, England.

Since 1933 the village of Woolverton is located in the civil parish of Tellisford in Somerset, England. (Source: Wikipedia.)

Prior to 1933 it was a separate civil parish in Frome Rural District and had been part of the Frome Hundred.

Contents

Historic Descriptions

1822 - Somersetshire delineated by Christopher & John Greenwood

A parish in the hundred of Frome, 5 miles N. from Frome; containing 30 inhabited houses, and as many families, 13 of whom are employed in agriculture. The church is a small structure, consisting of a nave and chancel, with a tower at the west end containing three bells. The living is a rectory, in the deanery of Frome, consolidated with Road Population, 1801, 169 - 1811, 159 - 1821, 184.

1875 - Somersetshire edited by Edward Robert Kelly

WOOLVERTON is a small parish and village, 119 miles from London, 4 north-by-east from Frome railway station, and 9 south-east from Bath, in the Eastern division of the county, Frome hundred, union and county court district, rural deanery of Frome, Wells archdeaconry, and diocese of Bath and Wells, situated on the Bath and Warminster road, on the west of the river Frome. The church of St. Lawrence is a small, old stone building, in good repair, and consists of chancel, nave, and south entrance porch, vestry at the south-western end, small tower and spire containing 2 hells: the church will seat about 80 people. The register dates from the year 1570. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of the adjoining parish of Road, joint yearly value £660, with about 85 acres of glebe land, in the gift of, and held by, the Rev. William Samways Oke, B.A., of Wadham College, Oxford. The old rectory house is now (1875) being razed, and a new one will be substituted, at the cost of the rector. There is a school for boys and girls on the National system, also a Sunday school. E. T. Foxcroft, esq., is lord of the manor, and, with Mrs. Lloyd, of Thornbury, Gloucestershire, the chief landowner. The soil is light clay; the subsoil is clay. The chief crops are pasturage for dairy purposes. The acreage is 736, including Chatley Hill; rateable value, £1,440; the population in 1871 was 157.

1929 - Somerset by George Woosung Wade & Joseph Henry Wade

Woolverton, a village 4 m. N. from Frome. The church is a small, aisleless building with a diminutive W. tower and spire. The S. porch has a ribbed stone roof.

Research Tips

General Somerset Tips

  • The Somerset Heritage Centre (incorporating what was formerly the Somerset Record Office and the Somerset Local Studies Library) can be found at its new location at Langford Mead in Taunton. It has an online search facility leading to pages of interest, including maps from the First and Second Ordnance Survey (select "Maps and Postcards" from the list at the left, then enter the parish in the search box).
    The Heritage Centre has an email address: archives@somerset.gov.uk.
  • Three maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrate the changes in political boundaries over the period 1830-1945. All have expanding scales and on the second and third this facility is sufficient that individual parishes can be inspected.
  • Somerset Hundreds as drawn in 1832. This map was prepared before The Great Reform Act of that year. Note the polling places and representation of the various parts of the county.
  • Somerset in 1900, an Ordnance Survey map showing rural districts, the boundaries of the larger towns, the smaller civil parishes of the time, and some hamlets and villages in each parish
  • Somerset in 1943, an Ordnance Survey map showing the rural districts after the changes to their structure in the 1930s

Other Resources

Picture Gallery

Former Church
Enlarge
Former Church
War Memorial
Enlarge
War Memorial
Turnpike Toll House
Enlarge
Turnpike Toll House