Place:Wolvercote, Oxfordshire, England

Alt namesWolvercottsource: from redirect
Woolvercottsource: from redirect
TypeChapelry, Civil parish, Suburb
Coordinates51.785°N 1.29°W
Located inOxfordshire, England
See alsoWootton Hundred, Oxfordshire, Englandancient county division in which it was located
source: Family History Library Catalog
the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Wolvercote is a village that is now part of the City of Oxford, England. It is about 3 miles (5 km) northwest of the city centre, on the northern edge of Wolvercote Common, which is itself north of Port Meadow and adjoins the River Thames.

The Domesday Book of 1086 lists the village as "Ulfgarcote" ('cottage of Woolgar'; or 'Woolgar's place'). The toponym had mutated to "Wolvercote" by 1185.

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Wolvercote. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.