- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Woodmansterne is a village in the Borough of Reigate and Banstead, Surrey bordering Greater London, England. A residential linear settlement on two main roads, it sits on a small plateau and a south-facing down slope of the North Downs. Its ecclesiastical parish borders continue to span old boundaries and reach into Chipstead, Coulsdon and Wallington.
The civil parish was part of Croydon Rural District from 1894 until 1915 when Croydon Rural District was abolished. It was then transferred to Epsom Rural District, and in 1933 to Banstead Urban District. Since 1974 it has been located in the Borough of Reigate and Banstead in Surrey.
Surrey Research Tips
Part of a list taken from GENUKI
Archives and Libraries
Surrey Cemeteries & Crematoriums
- Registration Districts in Surrey for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
Administrative boundaries of the county of Surrey (Surrey History Centre)
- In 1889 the County of London was created, and the areas of the modern London boroughs of Lambeth, Southwark and Wandsworth were removed from Surrey. The records of these areas are held either by the London Metropolitan Archives or by the local boroughs, but the Surrey History Centre holds pre-1889 Quarter Sessions records for this area.
- Also in 1889, Croydon was made into a county borough exempt from county administration. Croydon became a London borough in 1965, and most Croydon records are held by the Croydon Local Studies Library and Archives.
- In 1965 more of Surrey was lost to London, with the creation of the London boroughs of Kingston, Merton, Richmond, Sutton and an expanded Croydon. For these areas, records are held by the local boroughs (either in their archives or local studies libraries) or the Surrey History Centre. The London Metropolitan Archives may also have some material.
- In 1965 Staines and Sunbury were transferred from Middlesex to Surrey. In 1974 these areas became the new District of Spelthorne. Most records relating to the former Middlesex area are held by the London Metropolitan Archives.
Categories: Surrey, England | Woodmansterne, Surrey, England | Croydon Rural, Surrey, England | Epsom Rural, Surrey, England | Banstead, Surrey, England | Reigate and Banstead (district), Surrey, England