The civil parish of Woodmansey was created 1935 through the abolition of the parishes of Thearne and Woodmansey and Beverley Parks. It also absorbed a portion of [[Place:Cottingham, East Riding of Yorkshire, England|Cottingham Urban District which was abolished at that time. The civil parish of Woodmansey now consists of the villages of Woodmansey and Dunswell (which was formerly in Cottingham) and the hamlet of Thearne. Beverley, which was in the wapentake of Harthill remains the local ecclesiastical parish.
According to the 2011 UK census, Woodmansey parish had a population of 7109, an increase on the 2001 census figure of 6497.
In 1974 most of what had been the East Riding of Yorkshire was joined with the northern part of Lincolnshire to became a new English county named Humberside. The urban and rural districts of the former counties were abolished and Humberside was divided into non-metropolitan districts. The new organization did not meet with the pleasure of the local citizenry and Humberside was wound up in 1996. The area north of the River Humber was separated into two "unitary authorities"—Kingston-upon-Hull covering the former City of Hull and its closest environs, and the less urban section which, once again, named itself the East Riding of Yorkshire.