- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Woodhorn is a village in Northumberland, England about 2 miles (3 km) east of Ashington. The village is sometimes identified with Wucestre, given to St. Cuthbert by King Ceolwulf when he gave up his throne in 737 to become a monk at Lindisfarne. A medieval bell at Woodhorn, inscribed "Ave Maria", is said to be one of the oldest in existence.
The main employment was at the coal mine. The mine has since closed [date not given]. The site of the old pit is now the location for Northumberland Record Office (see below), a purpose-built building having been constructed to replace the two previous buildings at Morpeth and Gosforth.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Woodhorn from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "WOODHORN, a township and a parish in Morpeth [registration] district, Northumberland . The township lies on the coast, 2½ miles N of North Seaton [railway] station, and 8 ENE of Morpeth. Acres: 2,558; of which 1,082 are water. Population: 171. Houses: 31.
- "The parish includes Newbiggin township, which has a post-office under Morpeth, North Seaton township, where is the [railway] station, and five other townships; and comprises 8,456 acres. Real property: £12,116; of which £2,000 are in mines. Population in 1851: 1,598; in 1861: 2,962.
Townships in parish
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.