|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Durham, England|
|See also||Aycliffe, Durham, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Darlington Ward, Durham, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Sedgefield Rural, Durham, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1974|
|Sedgefield District, Durham, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
Wikipedia covers Woodham at the end of its article on Newton Aycliffe. Woodham is now a small hamlet on the northeast edge of Newton Aycliffe.
Woodham was originally a township in the ancient parish of Aycliffe in County Durham. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Sedgefield Rural District. Between 1974 and 2009 it became part of the larger Sedgefield non-metropolitan district. Since 2009 County Durham has been a unitary authority.
A nineteenth century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Woodham from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "WOODHAM, a township in Aycliffe parish, Durham; 7 miles ESE of Bishop-Auckland. Acres: 3,705. Real property: £2,681. Population: 218. Houses: 36."
Categories: Durham, England | Woodham, Durham, England | Aycliffe, Durham, England | Darlington Ward, Durham, England | Sedgefield Rural, Durham, England | Sedgefield District, Durham, England