|Alt names||Dunley||source: settlement in parish|
|Lower Woodcott||source: settlement in parish|
|Upper Woodcott||source: settlement in parish|
|Woodcutt||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Hampshire, England|
|See also||Pastrow Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Kingsclere Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1932|
|Litchfield and Woodcott, Hampshire, England||civil parish in which it has been located since 1932|
|Basingstoke and Deane District, Hampshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Woodcott from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "WOODCOTT, or Woodcutt, a parish in Kingsclere [registration] district, Hants; 4½ miles NNW of Whitchurch [railway] station. Post town: Newbury. Acres: 1,350. Real property: £1,200. Population: 80. Houses: 17. The manor belongs to the Earl of Carnarvon. The living is a donative in the diocese of Winchester. Value: £20. Patron: the Earl of Carnarvon. The church was rebuilt in 1704."
Until 1932 Woodcott was a separate civil parish which had, from 1894, been part of Kingsclere Rural District. In 1932 it was merged with the neighbouring parish of Litchfield to become the present parish of Litchfield and Woodcott which, since 1974, has been part of the Basingstoke and Deane District of Hampshire, England.
The main settlements in the parish are Litchfield, Dunley, Upper Woodcott and Lower Woodcott.
- Victoria County History of Hampshire, volume 4, chapter on Woodcott.
- GENUKI has a list of archive holders in Hampshire including the Hampshire Record Office, various museums in Portsmouth and Southhampton, the Isle of Wight Record Office and Archives.
- The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project has a large collection of transcriptions from Parish Registers across Hampshire.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 together with tables listing the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered, along with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The three-storey City Museum in Winchester covers the Iron Age and Roman periods, the Middle Ages, and the Victorian period.
- Volumes in The Victoria County History Series are available for Hampshire through British History Online. There are three volumes and the county is covered by parishes within the old divisions of "hundreds".
- A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
- A group of maps of the post-1974 municipal districts or boroughs of Hampshire on Wikipedia Commons
Categories: Hampshire, England | Woodcott, Hampshire, England | Pastrow Hundred, Hampshire, England | Kingsclere Rural, Hampshire, England | Litchfield and Woodcott, Hampshire, England | Basingstoke and Deane District, Hampshire, England