|Alt names||Wombwell||source: from redirect|
|Type||Town, Urban district|
|Located in||West Riding of Yorkshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Yorkshire, England |
|South Yorkshire, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Darfield, West Riding of Yorkshire, England||ancient parish of which it was part|
|Strafforth and Tickhill Wapentake, West Riding of Yorkshire, England||wapentake in which it was located|
|Barnsley (metropolitan borough), South Yorkshire, England||metropolitan borough of which it has been a part since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- Address: Town Hall, Church Street, Barnsley, England S70 2TA
- Telephone: +44(0)1226 773 950
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- British History Online (Victoria County Histories) do not cover the West Riding of Yorkshire
- GENUKI has a page on all three ridings of Yorkshire and pages for each of the ecclesiastical parishes in the county. Under each parish there is a list of the settlements within it and brief description of each. The list is based on a gazetteer dated 1835 and there may have been a number of alterations to the parish setup since then. However, it is worthwhile information for the pre civil registration era. GENUKI provides references to other organizations who hold genealogical information for the local area. There is no guarantee that the website has been kept up to date and the submitter is very firm about his copyright. This should not stop anyone from reading the material.
- The FamilyTree Wiki has a series of pages similar to those provided by GENUKI which may have been prepared at a later date from more recent data. The wiki has a link to English Jurisdictions 1851 which gives the registration district and wapentake for each parish, together with statistics from the 1851 census for the area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time, Yorkshire West Riding, section "Units and Statistics" leads to analyses of population and organization of the county from about 1800 through 1974. There are pages available for all civil parishes, municipal boroughs and other administrative divisions. Descriptions provided are usually based on a gazetteer of 1870-72.
- Map of the West Riding divisions in 1888 produced by UK Ordnance Survey and provided online by A Vision of Britain through Time
- Map of West Riding divisions in 1917 produced by UK Ordnance Survey and provided online by A Vision of Britain through Time. In other counties, the map for 1900 has been used, but it is not coming up in Vision of Britain's list.
- Map of West Riding divisions in 1944 produced by UK Ordnance Survey and provided online by A Vision of Britain through Time
- The above three maps indicate the boundaries between parishes, etc., but for a more detailed view of a specific area try a map from this selection. The oldest series are very clear at the third magnification offered. Comparing the map details with the GENUKI details for the same area is well worthwhile.
- Yorkshire has a large number of family history and genealogical societies. A list of the societies will be found on the Yorkshire, England page.
Categories: West Riding of Yorkshire, England | Wombwell, West Riding of Yorkshire, England | Darfield, West Riding of Yorkshire, England | Strafforth and Tickhill Wapentake, West Riding of Yorkshire, England | Barnsley (metropolitan borough), South Yorkshire, England | South Yorkshire, England