Wombourne (also spelt Wombourn) is a very large village (sometimes claimed to be the largest village in England) and civil parish located in the district of South Staffordshire, in the county of Staffordshire, 4 miles (6 km) south-west of Wolverhampton and just outside the county and conurbation of the West Midlands.
Local affairs are run by a parish council. At the 2001 census it had a population of 13,691. Due to its proximity to the county and conurbation of the West Midlands, it is, to some extent, an urban fringe settlement or dormitory village for the conurbation, although it also has a distinctive centre and a long history.
Wombourn appears to be the older spelling. It is found this way on 19th century maps.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Wombourne. The sub-section entitled "Industrial Developments" provides a good picture of Wombourne in the 19th century.
The mediaeval monastic farming centre at Woodford Grange was an extra-parochial area on the south-eastern edge of the village [of Trysull]. It was a farming centre for the Cluniac priory at Dudley. In a mediaeval context the "grange" place-name normally denotes a monastic farm. It may be that Woodford Grange was central to an estate owned by the priory, and therefore some of the fields around Trysull would have been part of that estate as well. Not much is known about the links between Trysull and Woodford Grange in the medieval period and after the Dissolution of the Monasteries. However following the introduction of the New Poor Law, extra-parochial areas were effectively made civil parishes by the Extra-Parochial Places Act 1857 and were eliminated by the Poor Law Amendment Act 1868. In the case of Woodford this would have been achieved by being integrated with the neighbouring parish of Wombourne. A surviving associated feature is Monk's Path. Woodford Grange is currently privately owned.
Woodford Grange was considered a civil parish in Seisdon Rural District from 1894 until 1900.